It's the first time, I guess, that a tune that I had dreamt of actually seemed to make sense by daylight. I searched - and soon discovered - fitting lyrics in my own collection and recorded a draft in the morning. Yesterday I recorded the song:
I dance in the light
I just stumbled over an embarrasing little slip, considering that I had gone over all my lyrics, sometimes several times, to check them for errors, clumsiness, or just to format them. In "house of worms" it should obviously read "their pay" - not "they're pay" (fortunately nobody will hear the difference). I guess I should have hired a proofreader. If you proof-read your own stuff you overlook your own mistakes.
After a restaurant owner had asked me if I was interested in performing in his venue in 2017 I had begun creating a little video series "Folk Bernd live at home" to showcase my setlist so interested parties could see what to expect (not too much, I'm afraid, but anyway...). Meanwhile I performed three times, at a fourth date nobody(!) showed up, so my companion and I just played for ourselves and two of his friends he had called.
This year there might be one or to performances in the summer. Since I have to rehearse regularly so my fingers don't hurt when performing ("pale plump Paula", my 12-string, can put quite a strain on untrained fingers) I hope to acquire a few more concerts. That's why I have expanded my setlist and published a few more "Folk Bernd live at home" videos and songs.
You can find the songs on my playlist, or the videos on my YouTube channel:
Folk Bernd live at home: Joy
The observant visitor might have noticed that the label of the first link on the blue line above is singular now: "my lyrics collection". The "s" is missing. That is because now all 545 lyrics
are in one single file
I have modified quite a few of the song texts. Some have been completely rewritten , others just edited to improve the flow or add some eloquence. I also had to do the odd correction. The diction now is British English (throughout? Not sure) and I've often omitted superfluous words like "yeah", "well" etc. that the musicians/singers can easily insert themselves should an additional syllable be needed.
Anyway: should you have filed oneor more older lyrics collections by me just replace them with this new, completed and updated version:
20 years (Lyrics by Bernd Harmsen since 1999)
I combined the three separate collections* in a new one, added the lyrics I have written since, replaced the rewritten ones, and also edited quite a few. Next I formatted the alphabetically arranged lyrics so there is one text per page. Some needed columns, for others I used a slightly smaller font, in a few cases I needed both measures to make them fit on a page. This makes it easy to count and thus checking for completeness and possible dublicates since I changed a few titles over the years. Things look good: there should be 545 song lyrics
- and I've got 545 pages